TL5 from March 28th

Staszek Wawrykiewicz StaW@gust.org.pl
Thu, 30 Mar 2000 06:14:24 +0200 (MET DST)

Uff, some opinions about installation of TL5 from March 28th on Linux
recommended installation (as usual ;-)

> Fixing permissions in /usr/TeX... Done fixing permissions.
> Setting up directories for automatic font creation... Done setting up directories.
> Set local tree $SELFAUTOPARENT/texmf-local in /usr/TeX/texmf/web2c/texmf.cnf...
> Done fixing texmf.cnf

For the moment it serves for nothing... Such tree wasn't built.

> clean fmtutil.cnf in /usr/TeX/texmf/web2c... Done fixing fmtutil.cnf

As previously it has most of formats unblocked :-(
1. install-cd.sh copied all formats to proposed /usr/TeX/texmf/web2c
   this point is acceptable...
2. for a strange reason /usr/TeX/texmf-var/ was created with the _same_ copy
   of fmtutil.cnf and then all formats were regenerated (during install),
   so we have another 24 MB on disk. To be exact, I didn't selected creation
   of var (alternate directory for configuration)

I can guess a mistake with texmf-var and texmf-local ;-)

-----
BLU can hapilly start texconfig (great!) but his local automagically
created tree is full of formats because of previous steps.
Hardly acceptable!

Nevertheless, I believe that such situation is more and more close to
the ideas of easy and clear configuration from both (admin and BLU) sides:
1. do not touch fmtutil.cnf when copying it from the CD
2. clean up the mess with texmf-var and texmf-local for install script

The worst experience was replacing fmtutil.cnf in texmf-var/web2c/
by a clean one from the CD, and then running texconfig from BLU account.
texmf-var/web2c/fmtutil.cnf was ignored and again, at the start of
texconfig, BLU has all mess with many megabytes of formats.
It seems quite clear: the admin can touch the global
$VARTEXMF/web2c/fmtutil.cnf and generate any format he decides,
but $TEMFMAIN/web2c/fmtutil.cnf _should be_ as simple as possible
because of bahaviour of texconfig I do not still understand (regeneration
of all formats _before_ any user decission what have to be done).

-----
Recommended installation copies texmf/fonts/pk/ljfour/public/cs/ ???? Only!
The same is on win32.

Staszek Wawrykiewicz
email: staw@gust.org.pl