TeX-LIVE bug reports

Fabrice Popineau Fabrice.Popineau@supelec.fr
28 Jun 2000 20:46:22 +0200

* Peter Flynn <pflynn@imbolc.ucc.ie> writes:

> Sebastian writes:
>> Michal Sevcenko SITE writes: > 1) if I install the distribution to
>> the directory, whose name contains > space(s) (e.g. "C:\Program
>> Files\TeX"), distribution does not work > properly. E.g. typing
>> "kpsewhich latex.fmt" does not report any occurence > of such a
>> file. If I use MS-DOS equivalent name (e.g. "C:\Progra~1\TeX"), >
>> it works OK.  I thought that this was documented somewhere? its a
>> well-known problem

> I don't remember where it's documented (although I warn against it
> in our local install docs for TL4). I raised this last year, I think
> FP wanted to know how MikTeX gets around this, which it does) but I
> don't think anyone found an answer.

I have written somewhere that 'even if TeX and friends can process
files such that their pathname contain spaces -- not the file name,
but the directory name -- it is unwise to install in such a directory
because not all of the tools have been tested against this'.

Now, I'll do my best to check under Win95. Once again, this is ok
under NT/2000, at least last time I checked.

> What is important for the user is (a) NEVER install fpTeX into a
> directory containing spaces in the name, and (b) NEVER save document
> files into such directories either, as they will not be processable
> from within (eg) WinEdt.

Yes, you can starting with TL5. Except that I won't say anything about
Win9x and tools other than the various engines.

>> 2) some batch files in $(TEX)\bin\win32 (e.g. amstex.bat) use
>> UNIX line  breaks (line feeds only).

This one has been reported and fixed.

Fabrice