forwarded message from bjkorites

Staszek Wawrykiewicz StaW@gust.org.pl
Sat, 26 Feb 2000 04:39:24 +0100 (MET)

Bernard Korites wrote:

> I installed TEX Live 4 and ran the TEX Shell from Windows 98. I did the
> following from the Shell options:
> Preview
> at this point, nothing happened. There was no preview.

First, please remember that TeXshell is an _additional_ (free!) program,
and should be somehow configured and explored by the user.
Reading the program help and configuring TeXShell would be recomended.
As concerned `Previev' option of TeXshell, please check
Options->Program Calls->DVI previewer. It should something like:
 windvi "%P%F.dvi"
Remove -i option, if it exists (it was simple mistake when preparing
TL4, sorry).

> (2)how do I print a dvi file. I have an HP laserjet printer. There are
>    no print commands on the shell.
On TL4 there are dvijl*.exe for printing a dvi file. If you use TeXshell,
you should adding your own menu item for the proper printer (there are
several programs for different HP laser jet printer models, see
.../texmf/doc/html/manpages/dvilj.html).
As you can, perhaps, include some graphics in your file, the best advice
would be using GSview and previewing and printing from this program.

> I have some other more general questions:
> (3)What version of Latex is used by TEX Live 4.
Check your .log file. It will display the version of LaTeX used.
Since LaTeX is changed every half a year, TeX Live 4 uses the last version
available when preparing the CD.

> (4)When I try running it from DOS, it says TEX, not Latex. Which is it?
??? You mean running from DOS box under Windows9x/NT, or something else...
Please consider that your DOS box under Windows9x/NT means that you have
something like `the command line' for the 32-bit system, and thanks for
it (hopefuly) you can:
1. change the local directory to do something;
2. run programs with some parameters
The Dos box (windowed or full screen) works (again hopefuly ;-) similar
as xterm on the most `normal' systems like Unix or Linux.

Some words to the TeX Live team (excuse Bernard): we have such questions
rather frequent, so we have to stress in documentations all the subtleties
concerned Win32.

Staszek Wawrykiewicz
email: staw@gust.org.pl