why the adobe.map is present in font aliases?

Petr Olsak olsak@math.feld.cvut.cz
Wed, 9 Feb 2000 14:11:09 +0100 (MET)

Hello,

I was found some special problem with font aliasing in aour actual (and
all pre) version of TeXlive.

There is a font alias algorithm described in kpathsea documentation.
This aliasing is configured via texmf/fontname/texfonts.map.
The historical reason is clear: the lcircle10<->circle10 alias has his
significance. But why the adobe.map file is included?

I prepared some example in sun2:/texlive/whyfontname.
There is a virtual font AHelvetica.vf used in test.dvi.
This virtual font points to font Helvetica (sure, this name).
The psfonts.map includes one line: "Helvetica Helvetica".
Thus the dvips works OK:
1. AHelvetica points to Helvetica
2. Helvetica is in psfonts.map, so the Helvetica PSfont is
   used but not downloaded.

On the other hand, the xdvi works very bad:
1. AHelvetica points to Helvetica
2. Helvetica*.pk is not found, the aliases are used.
3. Aliases in adobe.map say: this is the phvr8a font!
4. The phvr8a.*pk is not found, so the mktexpk is run.
5. mktexpk does not found the phvr8a in psfonts.map, so Metafont is run
6. Metafont crashes.

I mean that the problem has to be solved.

Petr Olsak

PS: now, the "tex -ini plain.tex" on sun2 says:
! tex.pool doesn't match; tangle me again (or fix the path).
I belive that this is only temporary problem.