TeX Live 5d

Sebastian Rahtz sebastian.rahtz@computing-services.oxford.ac.uk
Sat, 2 Dec 2000 17:24:40 +0000

Himanshu Gohel writes:
 > Is it worth the trouble?  I don't know...one reason is because SGI
 > Freeware distributes a precompiled version of teTeX as part of their
 > voluntary efforts.
I am not sure of the relevance?

 >  I believe this should be listed in the TeX Live CD
 > somewhere:
um, listed where? TeX Live does not list other software.

 > 	http://freeware.sgi.com/Installable/teTeX-1.0.6.html
 >
 > These binaries run on all currently supported hardware and OS
 > versions.

if you can find someone who knows how to do this, and wants to take
the burden of compiling SGI TeXLive away from Kaja, I am sure we'd all be
delighted. Remember, TeXLive is produced by a very small number of
people in a very small number of spare hours - to get proper support
for complex families of OSes like SGI needs extra volunteer hours.

 > Personally I've installed that, but their version is updated so
 > infrequently, I resort recompiling many executables myself.

quite. so does the TeX Live source tree build for you off the shelf?
thats what I *really* care about, not the precompiled things. after
all, I assume that 99% of SGI people do have a C compiler.

sebastian