Embedding TeXLive4 in a book

Sebastian Rahtz sebastian.rahtz@computing-services.oxford.ac.uk
Sat, 29 May 1999 11:56:22 +0100 (BST)

Xavier Cazin writes:

 > As the french subsidiary of O'Reilly & Associates, we are in the process of
 > releasing an original book in French on LaTeX, and we are thinking of
 > including a copy of TeXLive4 CD in each copy of the book. The first
 > printing will be 2000. Does TUG have envisionned a specific arrangement for
 > this kind of use?

We would be very happy to cooperate with O'Reilly on this, but we have
a few problems with packages which have restrictive licensing. TUG
agreed, for instance, with Aladdin that we could include Ghostscript,
but you'd have to negotiate separately. The LaTeX "french" package is
another example (and rather important in your context!)

Thats one problem; the other is that in an ideal world, I'd prefer to
make you a new release of TeX Live (TeX Live 4b) with the very latest
versions of some packages which have improved. At the same time I
could remove Ghostscript, for instance, if it caused problems.

What is your timetable on this? Basically, we would like to do this if
we possibly can. I suggest that Art Ogawa (the TUG Secretary) talk
with you about the licensing issues, and timetables, and then let me
know if the best solution with a slightly revised CD release. I am
able and willing to work on that, because it sounds like a good thing.

Sebastian Rahtz