install-pgk.sh script on Solaris

Brian Alston Brian Alston <ccaabaa@ucl.ac.uk>
Thu, 3 Jun 1999 15:09:53 +0100 (BST)

I'm installing TeXlive 4 on the central Unix service at UCL (Sun Solaris 2.6)
and after the main installtion I wanted to install a few extra packages (eg
subfigure) so I used the install-pgk.sh script using these commands:

	cd /cdrom/texlive4a
	sh install-pgk.sh --package=subfigure

This fails with the following messages:

	Packages will be installed in /nfs/fs-b/dev8/ccaabaa/TeX/TeX-Live4/
	sh: cf: not found
	sh: xf: not found
	mktexlsr: Updating /home/ccaabaa/texmf/ls-R...
	mktexlsr: Updating /home/ccaabaa/src/TeX/TeX-local/ls-R...
	mktexlsr: Updating /nfs/fs-b/dev8/ccaabaa/TeX/TeX-Live4/texmf/ls-R...
	mktexlsr: Updating /home/ccaabaa/TeX-fonts/ls-R...
	mktexlsr: Done.

After a bit of investigation I found that the script was using the 'xargs'
method instead of the 'tar' method for installing files and the cf: and xf: not
found messages were coming from the xargs command line.

I managed to get round the problem by installing GNU tar. install-pgk.sh now
uses the 'tar' method.

Brian

Brian Alston,
User Support,				e-mail:	ccaabaa@ucl.ac.uk