TeX Live CD 4

Fabrice Popineau popineau@ese-metz.fr
Sat, 17 Jul 1999 11:32:44 +0200

> with this CD I have the following problems:
> 1. As I want to run TeX/LaTeX on my laptop directly from the CD I find
> it annoying that each time I insert the CD into the machine I have to
> cancel the setup.
> Would it be possible that in the future the CD will be delivered without
> the autorun?

Possible, but not desirable. If you don't want autorun at all, then disable
the autorun feature on your laptop.

Quoted from Microsoft and assuming you are using Windows NT:

There is no user interface option to enable or disable the Autorun feature.
To enable or disable the feature, you must edit the registry. To do so,
follow the steps below.

WARNING: Using Registry Editor incorrectly can cause serious problems
that may require you to reinstall Windows NT. Microsoft cannot guarantee
that problems resulting from the incorrect use of Registry Editor can be
solved. Use Registry Editor at your own risk.

Change the Autorun value in the following registry key:

      HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\CDRom

To disable the Autorun feature, change the Autorun value to 0.
To enable the Autorun feature, change the Autorun value to 1.

Restart the computer.

NOTE: The above method disables the Autorun feature completely. If you want
to disable the feature on a per compact disc basis, you can hold down one of the
SHIFT keys while inserting the compact disc. utility.

> 2. Whereas I have no problem using TLCD3 either with WinEdit or from the
> explorer, I cannot start TeX/LaTeX from TLCD4.
> I have a >>X:\bin\win32<<-entry in my PATH.
> When starting LaTeX from WinEdit I receive the message
> "I canīt find the format file latex.fmt".
> Is there a difference between TLCD3 and 4?

Yes unfortunately, TL4a needs the following to run correctly off the CD :

set PATH=X:\bin\win32;%PATH%
set TEXMFMAIN=X:/texmf
set TEXMFCNF=X:/texmf/web2c

Fabrice Popineau