[tex-k] Pascal TWILL 4.5

Andreas Scherer andreas_tex at freenet.de
Tue Jan 4 22:51:12 CET 2022

Happy New Year!

Starting from the project https://github.com/ascherer/twill and by
comparing the working TWILL.WEB 2.9 with WEAVE.WEB 4.5, I was able to
create a change-file WEAV-TWILL.CH in https://github.com/ascherer/web
that can be TIEd together with WEB-FPC.CH, WEAV-PATCH.CH, AND
WEAV-SQUASH,CH into a single change-file TWILL.CH that mogrifies
WEAVE.WEB into a working TWILL.WEB 4.5.

If you clone https://github.com/ascherer/web and have the Free Pascal
Compiler installed, you can simply say 'make boot cautiously all PDF=pdf
fullmanual' to get a modern 'twill' executable (and the readable source
in 'twill.pdf') that works with the accompanying TWIMAC.TEX.

ATTOW, I have not studied TWILL enough to fully understand the process
and the available features, so as DEK said in 1987: "you probably
shouldn't try....", although it seems to be quite promising AS IS. After
invoking './twill weave.web twill.ch twill.tex' twice, you have to
resolve several '\none' entries in the mini-indexes with 'sed -i
twill.tex -e "s/\\\\none/=42/"' before you can invoke 'tex twill.tex' twice.

Enjoy!
Andreas