[tex-k] A210: nonfinal item should end in a semicolon, not period

Karl Berry karl at freefriends.org
Sat May 29 23:27:08 CEST 2021

    By the way, the recent TUGboat article "Lapses in TeX" did't mention that
    TeX produces bad spacing when typesetting "{\sl The value of $l$ has ...}"
    but I don't know what the proper spacing should be. No italic correction
    after the $l$? Or there should be an italic correction after "of"?

The italic correction after f makes the spacing a little too large to my
eyes, but that's probably better than no ic. I would probably insert a
manual kern. I might also be tempted to use "value of l has", without
math mode, because when the text font is slanted, a math italic l looks
distracting to me, rather than helpful. All depends on context.

TeX is just doing its job, typesetting the characters it's given. Humans
still have to make some choices :).  Barbara did mention lack of various
kerns, which can be taken as a standin for "suboptimal spacing
sometimes".  Hard for me to picture what Knuth could have done about
this particular case, though. --best, karl.