[tex-k] mf.ch Issue

Tim Stadelmann mail at timstadelmann.de
Fri Aug 6 08:24:21 CEST 2021

Dear Karl,

I’ve re-implemented a number of algorithms used in Metafont for a - still incomplete - personal computer graphics project.  In this context,
I use the mf program as a reference implementation for semi-automated testing. This has been quite helpful for quickly narrowing down bugs in my code. However, I got stuck finding the root cause for occasional small deviations in pen generation until I resigned to using a debugger on the c file generated by web2c to compare intermediate values and spotted the missing term in mf instead.

I have not looked into the trap test. However, it seems plausible that it might have missed the issue. For most inputs, the generated pens are either identical or differ only in the choice of the starting point of the list, which would not have an effect on the final raster output. Only for a small subset of inputs the actual point positions differ. Depending on the stroked path the raster output could still be identical.

	Best wishes,

	Tim