[tex-k] clarification in Appendix G of The TeXbook

Karl Berry karl at freefriends.org
Fri Sep 4 23:33:57 CEST 2020

    Page 442 of The TeXbook says "(See the METAFONT manual or the system
    documentation of tfm files for further information about successors and
    extensible characters.)" But The METAFONTbook does not use the term
    "successor", though Volume D hints that "successor" means "successor in a
    charlist".

Thanks for the report, but I guess I think that anyone advanced enough
in Metafont to care about extensible and "successor" characters would be
able to find the information even if the exact word is not present. The
books are meant to be read, not full-text searched. Granted an index
entry or other slight change would be nice, but there are so many
undoubted errors already ... --thanks, karl.