[tex-k] Can't reproduce the illustrations on page 201 of The METAFONTbook

Karl Berry karl at freefriends.org
Fri Aug 28 15:14:14 CEST 2020

    I succeeded with the first three, but can't reproduce the rest.

I wonder if Knuth "tripled the resolution" using a different (unstated)
mode. mag=3 is not the same as 600dpi. Can you try by changing lowres
mode to, say, "medres", changing its resolution to 600 and see what happens?

    while the book gives
                                 **                 **
                                ****               ****
                                ****               ****
                               *****              *****

To my eyes, the fourth line of the output is identical to the fifth line
(in both diagonals), that is,

rather than having a fifth pixel turned on at the right.

However, that is still different from what you're reporting you got ...

(I need a magnifying glass. Yikes.)

Thanks,
Karl