[tex-k] extra left parenthesis in "METAFONT: The Program"

Shreevatsa R shreevatsa.public at gmail.com
Wed Apr 22 01:57:14 CEST 2020

On Tue, 21 Apr 2020 at 15:16, Karl Berry <karl at freefriends.org> wrote:

> Hi again Hu,
>
>     Section 107 of "METAFONT: The Program" contains the pseudo-Pascal
>     fragment "((2^29*p+q) div (2*q)" which has an extra left
>     parenthesis. Is this a typo or a wabi-sabi?
>
> It's a bug, but it was already fixed in 2002 (errata.tex, line 977),
> and the current printing of volume D doesn't contain it.
>
>     (Sorry if it's already been reported.)
>
> Please check the errata files if you can. I know they are not the
> easiest thing to search through, but they're what we've got ...
> https://ctan.org/pkg/knuth-errata
>
> In any case, thanks for the report. --best, karl.

For what it's worth -- Knuth's webpage at
https://cs.stanford.edu/~knuth/abcde.html links to a PDF of errata since
2001, in which this one is mentioned:
https://cs.stanford.edu/~knuth/abcde-errata.pdf#page=13 (see under "page
D42").
But the PDF file shown by `texdoc mf` (for me
/usr/local/texlive/2020/texmf-dist/doc/generic/knuth/mf/mf.pdf) and mf.web
still seem to contain the typo -- probably should be fixed there as well?