[tex-k] Minor issues in TANGLE and WEAVE

Karl Berry karl at freefriends.org
Wed Apr 22 00:40:19 CEST 2020

Hi Doug,

    on or around lines 1313--1314 of the WEB file, it is stated that
    the WEB command @= initiates a "verbatim" Pascal string. It then says
    with respect to @=, "It is also used for the end of the string."

I believe the "It" in "It is also used for the end of the string."
is referring to the `verbatim' symbolic name (what this is a list of),
rather than the @= code that terminates the verbatim string in the input
.web file.

Looking at the module starting at line 3036
@ @<Copy verbatim string...@>=
it ends with a comment
end {another |verbatim| byte will be stored, since |a=verbatim|}

I can't say I see offhand how "another" |verbatim| byte gets stored, but
I get the sense that the verbatim code byte is marking the end of the
string (in the representation) as well as the beginning, as the original
comment can be interpreted as saying.  Maybe the app_repl call is
inserting the (end-)verbatim? Not sure. Or maybe I'm totally off.

Anyway, if this is the intent, the text could be clarified to say "The
|verbatim| code is also used" instead of "It". Wdyt?

    [weave.web]
    @d in_like=15 {\&{in}}

I concur that in_like is not used anywhere in weave.web that I can see
either, and should be removed. Will check with others ... --thanks, karl.