[tex-k] Bizarre coding system in lhr10.tfm

Julian Gilbey julian at d-and-j.net
Wed Oct 23 00:57:25 CEST 2019

On Sun, Oct 20, 2019 at 02:52:35PM -0700, Tomas Rokicki wrote:
> There's some information here:
>    https://github.com/rokicki/type3search/
> Ultimately I was less interested in the encoding *names* than
> in the actual PostScript glyph names, and the best source I
> found for that was in the psfonts.map files, and, failing that, in
> the PFB files.  Almost all current METAFONT fonts have
> workalike Type 1 fonts at this point, so I mostly leveraged that
> work.
> I am not aware of any code that depends on, or uses, any sort
> of encoding string in the TFM file in any meaningful way.
> There are still a bunch of additional fonts I need to derive
> reasonable glyph names for.
> I don't seem to have lhr10 in my texlive tree . . .
> -tom

Thanks Tom and Karl!

(And sorry for the slightly slow response.)

This explanation is very helpful; I had found the headerbyte and
special information in Appendix F in The METAFONTbook, but I couldn't
figure out the history of these tfm files, so that now makes sense.

The code in question is mftrace, which uses the embedded coding scheme
to figure out what encoding to use if nothing is specified on the
command line.  So I guess people will have to specify the encoding
file explicitly for these generated fonts.

Tom: lhr10 is generated on-demand by mktexmf.

Best wishes,

   Julian