[tex-k] Minor memory leak in kpathsea and a patch

Yifei Zheng zheng432 at purdue.edu
Wed Nov 27 17:20:50 CET 2019

Hi, all

I've been messing around with the texlive source distribution for a
while. But I do notice some minor memory leak when ran under valgrind.
I've attached the valgrind error report for reference. (Ran on
ArchLinux, using kpathsea from arch repository, self-compiled pdftex)
I'm not sure if this has been brought up before on the mailing list.

The memory leak is fairly manageable as it doesn't seem to scale too
much. Nonetheless, I thought it may be beneficial to have them fixed. So
I made a patch with respect to the 2019.3 source. It solves many but
sadly not all of the leaks (as tested with my modified pdftex executable).

*Disclaimer* I'm only a casual user of TeX, and I don't know much about
the internal structure of kpathsea (as in I don't know what internal
functions are supposed return new memory or return references). But I
hope it's somewhat useful.

Best,
Yifei

--