[tex-k] xdvi starts up without showing option menu in right side of window

jfbu jfbu at free.fr
Wed Nov 13 09:30:15 CET 2019

Le 13 nov. 2019 à 09:21, Arthur Reutenauer <arthur.reutenauer at normalesup.org> a écrit :

> On Wed, Nov 13, 2019 at 08:46:00AM +0100, jfbu wrote:
>> Le 13 nov. 2019 à 04:59, Paul Vojta <vojta at math.berkeley.edu> a écrit :
>>> You set the xdvi.expertMode when you hit the 'x' key (or actually xdvi does
>>> that when you press 'x').
>>
>> Could I have hit some key by accident on last use which would
>> have modified on quitting the .xdvirc without me realizing immediately?
>
>  Yes, ‘x’.

It seems reasonable the 'x' key was accidentally hit and then
XQuartz+xdvi quit without me noticing the disappearance of the menus
during the fleeting milliseconds the process took

>> I understand that perhaps the most rational answer is that
>> I did myself intentionally set the non-expert mode at some point
>> in the past, and then I lost all memory of that ... but this is
>> somewhat depressing thought.
>
>  No, the likeliest answer is that you -- presumably unintentionally --
> typed ‘x’, which toggled the expert mode, hiding all menus, and saving
> that setting to the .xdvirc.
>
>  (Rather than your memory of things that happened years ago, I would
> worry about your comprehension of an email right in front of your eyes
> if I were you ...)
>
> 	Arthur

This is very helpful, thank you very much for your so kind message.

I recall better why at various occasions in the past I have de-subscribed
myself from all TeX-related mailing lists, such as luatex etc...

Good to see you are contributing to maintain the warm and
welcoming atmosphere,

Jean-François