[tex-k] Viewing Token Lists?

Karl Berry karl at freefriends.org
Sun Mar 24 22:40:26 CET 2019

    One thing that would be nice would be to see the token lists that
    TeX generates while reading input files.

Totally agreed.

    Neither googling nor looking at the command line arguments showed
    any way to do this. Am I missing something?

As far as I know, unfortunately you are not missing anything. The
closest is etex's \showtokens{...}, which sort of displays the tokens of
.., but this isn't helpful wrt discovering what's happening when
absorbing input.

(Aside, unrelated to tokens: etex also defined \showifs and \showgroups,
which can be helpful in tracking down mismatched conditionals and
groups. \showlists from original TeX can also be surprisingly helpful.)

It seems to me that in luatex it should be possible to report (somehow)
on tokens as they are made, but I don't have anything specific to point
to. Maybe others here will know better. --best, karl.