[tex-k] Minor Non-Technical Error in TeXbook

Shreevatsa R shreevatsa.public at gmail.com
Sat Mar 16 00:24:12 CET 2019

On Fri, 15 Mar 2019 at 13:47, Jon Forrest <nobozo at gmail.com> wrote:

> (This is a minor quibble).
>
> On Page 37 of the TeXbook (2nd printing, 1984) is the sentence
>
> "It's not necessary for you to learn these code numbers;"
>
> This should be
>
> "It's not necessary for you to learn these category numbers;"
>
> This sentence is referring to the display of the 16 character categories
> shown above it. The numbers in this display are in a column labeled
> "Category" - thus they're category numbers. At this point the word
> "code" hasn't been used in this chapter.

Incidentally, in the predecessor of the TeXbook (I have the 1979 "TeX and
METAFONT: New Directions in Typesetting"; there was also an earlier version
of the manual that I don't have access to), in the same place before the
"It's not necessary for you to learn these code numbers" (then page 28 of
Chapter 7 "How TeX reads what you type"), the column is labelled "Category
code", so this quibble would not apply. :-) At some point possibly during
the rewrite, the column must have been renamed.