[tex-k] [OS X TeX] Programming literature: "Hilbert Curves"

Murray Eisenberg murrayeisenberg at gmail.com
Tue Jun 25 15:32:12 CEST 2019

Alas, that old Java Geometry Applet with this edition of Euclid’s Elements is in Java, and at least with security defaults of the current versions of macOS and Safari, it’s absolute torture to try to get the Java applet to be allowed to run.

> On 25 Jun2019, at 9:26 AM, William Adams <will.adams at frycomm.com> wrote:
>
> At last! A worthy successor to: https://mathcs.clarku.edu/~djoyce/java/elements/elements.html <https://mathcs.clarku.edu/~djoyce/java/elements/elements.html>
>
> Really looking forward to your presentation!
>
> William
>

> On Mon, Jun 24, 2019 at 8:47 PM Doug McKenna <doug at mathemaesthetics.com <mailto:doug at mathemaesthetics.com>> wrote:
> Well, what a long and strange trip (test) it's been!
>
> After many years of both concentrated and sporadic efforts on a variety of fronts, my combined application and/or electronic book ("Hilbert Curves" and/or "Outside-In and Inside-Gone") is now available (for $8) in Apple's App Store for Apple's iPad (and iPhone, but more screen real estate is better).
>
> Of interest to readers of this list, this app/book is, I believe, a first: it is self-typesetting on the user's device from TeX source code.  See <http://www.mathemaesthetics.com/HilbertCurves.html <http://www.mathemaesthetics.com/HilbertCurves.html>> for a few screen shots.  The typeset math of course looks great, though it is not very complicated (high-school level).
>
> The app contains its own high-performance TeX-language interpreter, which I've been calling JSBox.  The TUGboat article I wrote a while back on how it traces itself is here:
>
> <https://tug.org/TUGboat/tb35-2/tb110mckenna.pdf <https://tug.org/TUGboat/tb35-2/tb110mckenna.pdf>>
>
> (although in this dedicated eBook's case, none of the tracing code is ever needed, so all the tracing code is conditionally compiled out to save quite a lot of space).
>
> JSBox is a from-the-ground-up rewrite of TeX/e-TeX's engine, but (currently) without any of the back-end primitives for various types of import/export of PDF data.  JSBox is not open source (maybe some day).  It is a static library written in C that is designed to be incorporated into any other piece of software, such as an iOS or Mac or other GUI application that simulates a document of pages with illustrations.
>
> Lots of work still to be done on it, but I had to get this proof-of-concept eBook/app done before continuing.  With respect to this TeX language interpreter's development, I'm still in what's technically called the "eating your own dog food" phase.  Sales of my app/eBook will help support further work on JSBox, especially getting LaTeX and the TDS working with it.

> [...]

---
Murray Eisenberg			murrayeisenberg at gmail.com
503 King Farm Blvd #101	Home (240)-246-7240
Rockville, MD 20850-6667	Mobile (413)-427-5334