[tex-k] FAIL: tests/cnfline

Karl Berry karl at freefriends.org
Tue Aug 20 23:03:56 CEST 2019

    ++ ./kpsewhich --var-value=maxpr
    + val=100

Thanks for the report.  It is puzzling. There should be nothing
system-dependent in there. It's as if your system is not properly
defining the program name as "kpsewhich". The tiny
kpathsea/tests/cnfline/texmf.cnf file defines:

maxpr=100
maxpr.kpsewhich=200

And so maxpr should be set to 200 by the above call, not 100 as you are
getting. Unfortunately I cannot guess why that should be so on your
system. I'm pretty sure that the progname stuff works in general on
musl, or someone would have noticed by now (and other tests should have
failed).

I guess trying the test by hand could confirm or deny this theory,
though it won't help make a patch.

cd .../Build/source/Work/texk/kpathsea # wherever your build tree is
TEXMFCNF=../../../texk/kpathsea/tests/cnfline
export TEXMFCNF
./kpsewhich --var-value=maxpr
./kpsewhich --var-value=maxpr.kpsewhich

Both should return 200, but from your report, I suppose you will get 100
for the first and 200 for the second. (Um, in case it's not obvious,
please do this in a separate shell/terminal so that the TEXMFCNF envvar
setting doesn't mess up unrelated work later.)

If anyone else has access to a musl system (I don't), it would be nice
to know if it fails for others. --thanks, karl.