[tex-k] Web2C: "-parse-first-line" does not work in on-line file prompt.

Igor Liferenko igor.liferenko at gmail.com
Sun Sep 23 07:13:06 CEST 2018

Karl,

This is an error that format passed in argument list via "&" is not
displayed in banner.
Explanation follows.

Format is not actually loaded when "preloaded format=..." is displayed
on terminal: when it is known which format will be loaded, it is OK to
display it in advance. (When it is not known which format will be
loaded---when tex is started without arguments---it is OK to display
default format.)

In all cases, except when format is specified via "&" in argument
list, the above rule holds.

This is the example of the exceptional case where logic does not work:

    $ tex -ini plain \\dump
    $ tex \&plain story
    This is TeX, Version 3.14159265 (preloaded format=tex)

A check like this could fix this: if "(*argv[1] == '&')" then after
"preloaded format=" output
"argv[1]+1".

I have not yet patched my local version of TeX, but I will report when done.

Regards,
Igor