[tex-k] (x)dvipdf(m(x)) invocation and default file suffix

Karl Berry karl at freefriends.org
Wed May 23 00:38:54 CEST 2018

    (x)dvipdfmx first searches for the input name as a (.xdv).dvi file.
    If it fails, it tries by appending a suffix (.xdv).dvi.

Hi Akira - I think it should try appending .dvi first (unless the input
name already ends with ".dvi"). That's what almost most of the programs
do (I believe), precisely because of the situation Andreas is reporting.

I don't know if the (x)dvipdfmx behavior changed at some point or if
it's always been like that, but either way ...

E.g., with TeX:
  tex foo.bar -> try foo.bar.tex first, then foo.bar.
  tex foo -> try foo.tex first, then foo.

It's been this way for many years now.
Better for dvipdfmx to have the same behavior, I think? Ok? --thanks, karl.