[tex-k] Possible bug in TeX version 3.14159265

Jonathan Kew jfkthame at gmail.com
Thu Feb 15 18:42:46 CET 2018

This is not a bug. See module 28 (where a_close and friends are
defined), which explicitly says that they "should not generate error
messages if a file is being closed before it has been successfully opened".

So it's expected that a_close may be used in this way, and it's up to
the implementor on any given system to ensure this is OK.

JK