[tex-k] Problem with "mf" online display in GNOME

Karl Berry karl at freefriends.org
Fri May 26 00:26:17 CEST 2017

    pv> For an Xlib hello world program, I find:
            http://www.paulgriffiths.net/program/c/hellox.php

There is another one at
  https://cs.colorado.edu/~mcbryan/5229.03/mail/35.htm
I think that might be (derived from) Rosenthal's, but credit
is not given, so maybe the course instructor wrote it from scratch.

    >     I could never have done this without David Rosenthal's Hello World
    >     program for X. See $X/mit/doc/HelloWorld.

    il> Does anybody know where to get this file?

I wrote that comment (and rewrote much of X11-Xlib.c, back in 1989, per
that comment), but, gee, I did not keep a copy of the X source
distribution from that time. They must be online somewhere, I would
dearly hope. But I think either of the above would do for present
purposes.

Also, it seems Rosenthal presented the program in a Usenix paper, but I
could only find references, not the paper itself:

  David Rosenthal, `A Simple X11 Client Program -or- How hard can it
  really be to write ``Hello, World''?'', USENIX Winter Conf. Proc.,
  Dallas, Jan, 1988, pp. 229-242.

Happy hacking,
Karl