[tex-k] patch to epstopdf

William Bader williambader at hotmail.com
Sun Feb 14 02:12:58 CET 2016

> Date: Sat, 13 Feb 2016 23:37:13 +0000
> From: karl at freefriends.org
> To: list0570 at paradise.net.nz
> CC: williambader at hotmail.com; tex-k at tug.org
> Subject: Re: [tex-k] patch to epstopdf
>
>     monochrome images (PS might not be)
>
> I cannot speak to "color models", and Ghostscript options are yet
> another world, but PostScript the language certainly supports monochrome
> images, in that the venerable image operator handles images with depths
> of 1, 2, 4, or 8 bits.
>
> I can't say I know what to make of it in practice,
> http://www.ghostscript.com/doc/current/Ps2pdf.htm does list various
> Mono* parameters.  William, is that what you were tinkering with?
>
> In any case, I see no reason not to add the grayscale option just
> because we haven't figured out the monochrome option.
>
> Thanks,
> Karl

Yes, I tried ps2pdf -sColorConversionStrategy=Gray -dProcessColorModel=/DeviceGray -dColorImageDepth=1 -dGrayImageDepth=1 -dMonoImageDepth=1 colorcir.ps
but I still came up with grayscale image. It might be possible with a custom ICC profile.
At least for printing, I am not sure if converting to 1 bit monochrome would ever be useful. Images would come out very ugly. RIPs need to see grayscales in order to generate halftones.
Regards, William