[tex-k] patch to epstopdf

Volker Kuhlmann list0570 at paradise.net.nz
Sat Feb 13 23:50:52 CET 2016

On Sun 14 Feb 2016 09:25:18 NZDT +1300, William Bader wrote:

> My issue is that I am sending newspaper pages to an imager, and I
> don't want a color photo, for example, to trigger a CMYK separation
> on an interior page that can't print color. I am not doing the color
> to grayscale conversion to reduce the size. I usually identify pages
> as either color or B&W, but I should have been more careful in the
> terminology.

I think it is important in image processing to be clear about the
grey/bicolor difference. Command line options should reflect that. Given
that B&W is often used ambigously it would probably be better to refer
to monochrome instead.

> In any case, I am not sure if ghostscript has an option
> to control the number of bits per sample. I tried a few options, but
> I still got 8 bit grayscale instead of 1 bit. The ghostscript pstopdf
> documentation is at http://www.ghostscript.com/doc/current/Ps2pdf.htm

Thanks for the link - it looks like RGB, CMYK and Grey are the only
device colour models. I don't know whether that is a limitation of
ghostscript or postscript, but it means there can't be a -monochrome
flag, only a -grey one.

Perhaps I have been thinking of PDF, which is definitely capable of
monochrome images (PS might not be). PDF files with images converted to
monochrome are a fraction of the size (this always uses a fax CCITT
compression) as the same image as grey scale. E.g. vuescan (hamrick.com)
creates these accordingly, and it's a really good scanner program.

Volker

--
Volker Kuhlmann