[tex-k] epstopdf bug?

Karl Berry karl at freefriends.org
Mon Aug 17 01:46:35 CEST 2015

    attached is eps file which loads fine when using several postscript
    viewers (e.g. gv, evince) but the content inside frame disappears
    when converting via epstopdf.

By the way, as far as I can see the underlying problem is related to the
gs version.  epstopdf --debug shows the exact gs invocation, which is:

gs -dSAFER -dNOPAUSE -dBATCH -sDEVICE=pdfwrite \
   -sOutputFile=2015-03-14.pdf -dPDFSETTINGS#/prepress -dMaxSubsetPct=100 \
   -dSubsetFonts=true -dEmbedAllFonts=true -dAutoRotatePages#/None \
   2015-03-14.eps -c quit

If I replace "gs" with "gs901", an older version I have on my system,
the interior of the frame appears.  On the other hand, with gs910 as
well as gs914, it disappears as you reported.

You could report this to ghostscript at http://bugs.ghostscript.com/
if you feel like it, and see what they say.  Akira's
--pdfsettings=screen workaround is fine, and there are probably other
workarounds by messing around with the options, but ultimately it still
seems to me there is a gs bug at the bottom of it.

Best,
Karl