[tex-k] Writing output to standard output rather than to a file

Jay F Shachter jay at m5.chicago.il.us
Sun Mar 11 19:32:38 CET 2012

Is there a pdfetex option (or another program) that reads TeX input
and sends pdf or PostScript output to the standard output rather than
to a file?  Or an etex option (or another program) that reads TeX
input and sends dvi output to the standard output rather than to a
file (at which point I can run "dvips -o -" or "dvips -o /dev/fd/1" to
read the dvi stream and send PostScript to standard output)?  I am
trying to construct print filters that will enable me to invoke, e.g.,
"lp file.tex" and which will, upon recognizing a TeX input file,
automatically run the appropriate filters and print the output.  Thank
you in advance for your replies.

			Jay F. Shachter
			6424 N Whipple St
			Chicago IL  60645-4111
				(1-773)7613784
				jay at m5.chicago.il.us
				http://m5.chicago.il.us

			"Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum videtur"