[tex-k] dvips font issue with embedded graphics file

Pierre MacKay pierre.mackay at comcast.net
Sat Jan 14 01:43:35 CET 2012

On 01/13/2012 04:27 PM, Reinhard Kotucha wrote:
> On 2012-01-13 at 12:25:16 -0800, Pierre MacKay wrote:
>
>   >  On 01/13/2012 03:10 AM, Roderick Johnstone wrote:
>   >  >  Hi
>   >  >
>   >  >  I have an issue with fonts in some graphics files embedded by dvips that
>   >  >  are not displaying correctly in the postscript written by dvips. The
>   >  >  issue is fixed using dvips -j0.
>   >  >
>   >  >  Not sure if this is a dvips bug or a problem with my graphics file. I
>   >  >  could provide a simple test case if anyone could help.
>   >  >
>   >  >  Thanks
>   >  >
>   >  >  Roderick Johnstone
>   >  >
>   >  >
>   >  If the fonts are contained in the graphics file, DVIPS cannot reach in
>   >  to manage and revise any subsetting done by the graphics program.
>
> Does dvips make any attempt to subset fonts in external graphics files
> at all unless they contain something described in section 5.1.6. of
> the dvips manual?
>
> Regards,
>    Reinhard

That was my point, I don't think it can do so or does do so, but the
phenomenon mentioned by Roderick Johnstone matches the effect of
conflicting subsets that I have already encountered, particularly when
using graphics generated by Illustrator.  The confusion may arise in my
case owing to the use of a distiller such as ps2pdf or Adobe on-line
distiller.  I wonder whether Roderick Johnstone's problem involves that
additional stage. In any case, I have learned to avoid using fonts with
the same foundry name in both included non-TeX graphics and TeX text.
For one thing, they never look quite the same, so an explicit change of
font seems a better idea.

Pierre MacKay