[tex-k] texLive 2011 updmap problem

Karl Berry karl at freefriends.org
Mon Sep 5 01:07:39 CEST 2011

Hi Dick,

Many different points are being raised.

tex-k at tug.org is a public list, listed on
reason to put tex-k into the --help message of updmap and other such
utilities, I just wanted to.

The sh (it was never bash-specific) updmap is not going to be supported
going forward (by us, anyway).  That be a big step backward.

Happily, Norbert already wrote a patch for Perl version to avoid the
s{1,2} usage that I used.  It will be in tonight's update.  I'll attach
it here.  I know already that further changes will be coming but as far
as I can tell this version is usable.  If you have problems, let us know.

Reinhard, you can test with /usr/local/bin/perl5.8.1 on tug.org, if you
want.  The script started up ok with it, I didn't do much beyond that.

The (no-longer-extant) 5.8.8 requirement was not specifically
documented; what was documented was the change to using the Perl updmap
everywhere, so at least there was a clue that there might be issues.
(As I've said already, I thought it was 5.8.4, anyway.)

No such requirement can globally apply, since scripts are written by
different people at different times in different languages for different
reasons.  Just talking about the ones we maintain, they should work with
any reasonable version.  I have no way to know exactly which ones.

We also have no way to do anything about ltxcheck.tex.  That is owned by
the LaTeX group and you could suggest it to them if you like
(http://www.latex-project.org/bugs-upload.html).  I don't see any way
they can check anything about Perl, though, and don't know what they
could check for even if they could.

Best,
karl