[tex-k] texLive 2011 updmap problem

Karl Berry karl at freefriends.org
Sat Sep 3 01:48:54 CEST 2011

    Is there no way we can't make that script compatible with older perls?

There may be a way (while losing perfect compatibility).  Namely detect
the older perl and then change the getopt parsing to only support one
arg to setoption (or something like that) with the standard features.  I
don't know if that approach can actually be made to work, and requires
more time.  I haven't gotten back to it.  If someone can send a patch,
that would be good.

    There are a *lot* of older Perls out there.

Tom, of course I was very well aware of this.  I am usually the last
person in the world to drop umpteen--year-compatibility, but in this
case all the other options were worse.  I wrote more details on the
tex-live list when it was reported earlier.  (So far these are the only
two reports.)  http://tug.org/pipermail/tex-live/2011-July/029764.html

I am puzzled about the 5.8.4 vs. 5.8.8 discrepancy.  When I looked at it
originally, I apparently found that the getopt feature was added in
5.8.4.  But with reports that it actually requires 5.8.8, that means
we're up to 2006 for the perl release :(.