[tex-k] dvips on debian linux

Pierre MacKay pierre.mackay at comcast.net
Wed Apr 13 15:56:33 CEST 2011

On 04/12/2011 02:55 PM, Srinivas Nedunuri wrote:
> why does dvips send its output to a printer by default?? I use dvips
> on Windows, and it does not do that (it sends the output to
> <filename>.ps) which makes the most sense.

Are you sure that dvips on Windows is not running through a hidden
script that emulates "-o <filename>.ps" ?
That would be fine.  Otherwise we have the problem of proliferating
dialects.  So long as I have known it, which is, by now, a very long
time, the default output of dvips is to a generic output stream (not
even necessarily a printer).

Pierre MacKay