[tex-k] The dvitype utility can't dump XDV files

Peter Breitenlohner peb at mppmu.mpg.de
Fri Oct 15 13:41:52 CEST 2010

On Wed, 13 Oct 2010, Peter Dyballa wrote:

> The disdvi utility can dump the contents of XDV files from XeTeX, although
> not in that detail one might wish. When I try to use dvitype ...
> ... it complains:
>
> Could dvitype learn to "officially" support XDV files in order to be able to
> debug them or compare the output from different XeTeX versions?

Hi Peter D,

while creating such a dvitype version may involve all sorts of problems
(e.g., reading and interpreting XeTeX specific font files), the analogous
modifications for disdvi are much much simpler.

In the TeX Live SVN repository (r20110) there is now a version that can
interprete pTeX extensions ("disdvi -p [file]" or "disdvi --ptex [file]")
and XeTeX extensions ("disdvi -x [file]" or "disdvi --xetex [file]").  Still
somewhat preliminary, but works nicely for the three .xdv files you sent me.

The modified sources are in svn://tug.org/texlive/trunk/Build/source or
ftp://ftpth.mppmu.mpg.de/pub/peb/TLtests/tex-live-2010-09-24.tar.xz

Regards
Peter B