[tex-k] epstopdf doesn't like --filter and --outfile option together

Norbert Preining preining at logic.at
Sun Mar 14 15:39:24 CET 2010

On Sa, 13 Mär 2010, Julian Gilbey wrote:
> This is due to the section around line 304 in epstopdf.pl:
>
> if ($::opt_filter) {
>   debug "Filtering: will write standard output";
>   $OutputFilename = "-";
> } else {
>   debug "Output filename:", $OutputFilename;
> }

Well, this is somehow what I expect. If I ask for
	--filter
then it is stdin -> stdout, that is what is a filter about.

But if it is easy to make it honor --outfile that would be great, but one
of the doc entries has to be fixed.

>   --outfile=file
>          write result to file; the default is  to  construct  the output
>          file  name  by  replacing  any  extension in the input file with
>          .pdf.  If --nogs or --filter is  specified,  write  to standard
>          output.
> [...]
>   --[no]filter
>          read standard input (default: off).

That should probably be improved saying that "and writes to standart output,
overriding any --outfile setting".

>   produce postscript | epstopdf --filter >test.pdf
>   produce postscript | epstopdf -f -d -o=test.pdf

Hmmm, the examples are ... well ...then strange.

Best wishes

Norbert
JAIST, Japan            TU Wien, Austria           Debian TeX Task Force