[tex-k] Problem.

R. Brown rmb.uky.math at gmail.com
Fri Jun 11 02:01:40 CEST 2010

I recently upgraded to Ubuntu 10.04 and a working tex installation
turned into one that is not working for me. The problem is not tex by
itself, but tex and its interaction with the file server at work.

Most of my files are kept on a windows file server that is mounted via
cifs at ~/rbrown on a linux machine. When I try to run latex, I
receive an error that the file is not found. Moving the file to a
local directory (rather than a subdirectory of the cifs mount), allows
tex to work.

This appears to be similar to the problem reported by
http://www.tug.org/pipermail/tex-live/2010-March/025026.html

The following interaction with the shell illustrates the problem:

rmbzz at zygmund:~/rbrown/work/circle$ ls -l threebythreepuzzle.tex
-rwx------ 1 rmbzz rmbzz 1646 2010-06-10 17:17 threebythreepuzzle.tex
rmbzz at zygmund:~/rbrown/work/circle$ latex threebythreepuzzle.tex
This is pdfTeX, Version 3.1415926-1.40.10 (TeX Live 2009/Debian)
 restricted \write18 enabled.
entering extended mode
! I can't find file `threebythreepuzzle.tex'.
<*> threebythreepuzzle.tex

(Press Enter to retry, or Control-D to exit)
Please type another input file name:
! Emergency stop.
<*> threebythreepuzzle.tex

No pages of output.
Transcript written on texput.log.
rmbzz at zygmund:~/rbrown/work/circle$ kpsewhich threebythreepuzzle.tex
rmbzz at zygmund:~/rbrown/work/circle$ kpsestat = threebythreepuzzle.tex
kpsestat: threebythreepuzzle.tex: Value too large for defined data type
rmbzz at zygmund:~/rbrown/work/circle$
rmbzz at zygmund:~/rbrown/work/circle$ kpsestat --version
kpsestat (kpathsea version 5.0.0)
Copyright (C) 1997 Olaf Weber.
There is NO warranty.  You may redistribute this software
under the terms of the GNU General Public License.
For more information about these matters, see the file named GPL.
Primary author of kpsestat: Olaf Weber.
rmbzz at zygmund:~/rbrown/work/circle$

and the output of

rmbzz at zygmund:~/rbrown/work/circle$ strace kpsestat =
threebythreepuzzle.tex 2> straceout

is attached.

I would appreciate any suggestions as to how to better identify the
problem and redirection if this is the wrong place to seek help.  Or a
solution.

Russell Brown

Russell Brown :-: russell.brown at uky.edu
If I were founding a university I would begin with a smoking room;
next a dormitory; and then a decent reading room and a library. After
that, if I still had more money that I couldn't use, I would hire a
professor and get some text books.
--Stephen Leacock