[tex-k] pointing kpathsea to the correct texmf tree

Oleg Parashchenko olpa at xmlhack.ru
Fri Apr 23 12:17:35 CEST 2010

Hello Peter,

On Thu, 22 Apr 2010 10:00:38 +0200 (CEST)
Peter Breitenlohner <peb at mppmu.mpg.de> wrote:

> (2) how to find everything else, based on the contents of texmf.cnf.
>
> Most probably your texmf.cnf again defines the various search paths in
> terms SELFAUTO* variables.  And again environment variables can
> override this.

Thanks for pointing to these variables! I stumbled upon them during
looking at kpathsea sources, but didn't pay much attention.

> The basic idea is, that the whole TeX installation works independently
> from where it is installed.  Thus for an executable located at, say
>     SOMEWHERE/parent/dir/loc/executable
> the kpathsea initialization sets
>     SELFAUTOLOC = SOMEWHERE/parent/dir/loc
>     SELFAUTODIR = SOMEWHERE/parent/dir
>     SELFAUTOPARENT = SOMEWHERE/parent

Thanks for explaining! My thought that the default dearch paths were
compiled in, I didn't expect that they are calculated dinamically.

> (see kpathsea/progname.c) and the search paths in the standard
> texmf.cnf are based on these three variables.  Since your program is
> located differently, all this doesn't work.

Yes. Now I can reproduce the problem with standard tools. Under Mac OS X
and MacTeX (but not under Linux with DVD-based TeX Live):

$ kpsewhich psfonts.map
/usr/local/texlive/2009/texmf-var/fonts/map/dvips/updmap/psfonts.map
$ cp `which kpsewhich` .
$ ./kpsewhich psfonts.map
$

At the first glance, setting SELFAUTO* before running the program doesn't
help, probably they are reset during initialization. I need some time to
investigate.

> You might want to look at the dvipng sources with the configure option
> '--enable-selfauto-set', to see how this can handled inside the program.

Thanks for the hint.

--
Oleg Parashchenko  olpa@ http://uucode.com/
http://uucode.com/blog/  XML, TeX, Python, Mac, Chess