[tex-k] xdvik-22.84.15 Failure to Build

Richard David Sherman rdsherman at roadrunner.com
Sun May 10 19:33:06 CEST 2009

Karl ... Bingo!

You're brilliant; the texmf.cnf file is indeed missing. My own texlive2008 texmf.cnf also worked. (I'm wondering ... my tex tree is non standard; it starts at /usr/tex. An issue?)

("Got a copy of texmf.in from the previous xdvik release?" ... that did not work.)

But, I'd still like to know why I now need flex, bison, & yacc; what is the benefit? And some one really ought to document the new system requirements for a build of the latest version.

I've cc'd to those people you suggested, but, I'm not sure it'll get thru. Could you verify it? (I'm not a sourceforge member, I think.)

Thanks for the incredibly quick response.

Richard

PS When will texlive2009 be released?

---- Karl Berry <karl at freefriends.org> wrote:

=============
    There seems to have been a radical
    (undocumented?) change in the system requirements.

I'm not sure it was intentional.  More likely the new configure has
deficiencies.

    Can you possibly help me?

I'll write what I know, but it'd be better to post to tex-k at tug.org.  I
haven't maintained xdvik for a long time.  All the new changes were made
by other people.  Stefan Ulrich <stefanulrich at users.sourceforge.net>
is the principal maintainer these days AFAIK.

    Executing configure initially birped & said I now need flex &
    yacc|bison. (Why?)

I suspect it was in the support code somewhere/somehow, rather than xdvi
itself (which still doesn't need flex & bison, at a quick glance).
Can't say more.

    But, make, despite numerous experiments, expired in error complaining
    that it could not find a target rule to make texmf.cnf. In comparing
    with the last build I noticed that texmf.in no longer exists. (I see
    the rule in the Makefile, though.)

It is true I deleted kpathsea/texmf.in, now there is only
kpathsea/texmf.cnf.  This change was made in the TL development sources.
I don't know exactly what Stefan did to make the xdvik release tar.

    I've poured over changelogs & can find no hint on what to do.

Get a copy of texmf.in from the previous xdvik release?

Alternatively, I'll also attach the current TL development texmf.cnf;
maybe if you just put it in /tmp/xdvik-22.84.15/texk/kpathsea, the build
will be able to proceed.

Hope something works.

Best,
Karl