[tex-k] [tex-live] mktexlsr does not include $TEXMFLOCAL when refreshing

Zdenek Wagner zdenek.wagner at gmail.com
Tue Mar 24 15:33:33 CET 2009

2009/3/24 R (Chandra) Chandrasekhar <chandra at ee.uwa.edu.au>:
> Dear Folks,
>
> I have installed TeXLive 2008 on a Debian-based Kubuntu Intrepid AMD-64 PC
> from DVD.
>
> I realize that the experimental biblatex package will not be part of TeXLive
> until it is actually released. Nevertheless, since I use it, I decided to
> install it.
>
> I have installed it as directed by the package author and my root texmf
> directory is
>
> /usr/local/texlive/2008/../texmf-local
>
> which is really
>
> /usr/local/texlive/texmf-local
>
> This was also the directory returned by
>
> kpsewhich -expand-var '$TEXMFLOCAL'
>
> I did
>
> sudo mktexlsr
>
> after the installation.
>
> After that,
>
> kpsewhich biblatex.sty
>
> gave a null response.
>
> Only after
>
> sudo mktexlsr /usr/local/texlive/texmf-local

mktexlsr /some/path rebuilds ls-R in /some/path while mktexlsr
consults texmf.cnf and rebuilds ls-R in directories listed in
TEXMFDBS. Probably "sudo mktexlsr" finds some other mktexlsr, not the
one distributed with TeX Live, thus it finds different texmf.cnf and
rebuilds ls-R in different directories. Try

sudo which mktexlsr

It will show you which mktexlsr was used.

--
Zdeněk Wagner
http://hroch486.icpf.cas.cz/wagner/