[tex-k] libpoppler support in TeX Live source tree

Norbert Preining preining at logic.at
Wed Mar 18 18:37:59 CET 2009

On Mi, 18 Mär 2009, The Thanh Han wrote:
> I also vote for having static xpdf as default, and an option
> to enable using libpoppler instead of xpdf. Plus what

Here everyone agrees.

> Jonathan said about dependency, ie we should avoid the case
> when one must have libpoppler to be able to build pdftex.

Of course not, at least in TeX Live it will be self-contained with the
xpdf code. Only those distributions wanting to compile with poppler will
call --with-(system-)poppler or whatever.

> PS: as a side note I would like to add that I was bitten
> more than once by poppler when pdfs that work fine with xpdf
> crashed with poppler.

Strange that I never got a bug report about that in Debian. It seems
that people using linux distributions (and thus with very high
probability poppler) don't have that problem, or do not report that to
the various BTS.

Best wishes

Norbert