[tex-k] libpoppler support in TeX Live source tree

Peter Breitenlohner peb at mppmu.mpg.de
Wed Mar 18 12:35:15 CET 2009

On Wed, 18 Mar 2009, Martin Schröder wrote:

> 2009/3/18, Norbert Preining <preining at logic.at>:
>>  Rationale: Some distributions use llibpoppler instead of xpdf to have a
>>  shared library where sec fixes are only going into on package.
>
> <cough>All</cough> Linux distros I know of distribute a patched pdfTeX
> with poppler. I think it's prudent to face the facts.
>
>>  I am also willing to later on care for the poppler support, i.e., at
>>  least check for compilability.
>
> Me too, but I have scarce time till easter.

Hi Norbert and Martin,

(1) please postpone this whole discussion until after the migration to the
new build system is done and has stabilized.

(2) To what extent is libpoppler a plugin replacement for the current
libxpdf?

(3) Did you want to say that when building TL one could use libpoppler
(installed or maybe built as part of the tree) as an alternative to the
current libxpdf, or to make a complete switch.

(4) In case you think of a complete switch, you have to give support to have
libpoppler built on all systems currently supported by TL.

Please clarify.

Regards
Peter