[tex-k] New tl build process (fwd)

Peter Breitenlohner peb at mppmu.mpg.de
Wed Mar 4 12:36:11 CET 2009

On Tue, 3 Mar 2009, Peter Breitenlohner wrote:

> Date: Tue, 03 Mar 2009 16:25:14 +0100
> From: Taco Hoekwater <taco at elvenkind.com>
> To: Peter Breitenlohner <peb at mppmu.mpg.de>
> Subject: Re: New tl build process

Hi Taco and Karl,

> This should be 'it'. Luckily, the needed changes besides the two new
> files are fery small indeed.
>
> I've done the Makefile.ac fix 'blind', I hope it is ok.

The Makefile.am part is certainly OK (once the rest has been integrated).

I'll shortly do some part of it, although probably with some tiny
modifications, and I'll add a prototype for selfdir as suggested by Karl.

There are, however, a few minor points and a major one.

In mingw32.h IS_UNC_NAME is defined twice (formatted differently).

In config.h there now is
 	#ifdef WIN32
 	#ifndef __STDC__
 	#define __STDC__ 1
 	#endif
 	#endif /* not WIN32 */
whereas I'd (mildly) prefer
 	#ifdef WIN32
 	#undef __STDC__
 	#define __STDC__ 1
 	#endif /* not WIN32 */

In tex-make.c, instead of introducing a new variable NUM, I'd rather define
num as DWORD for mingw and as int otherwise (BTW: what is the difference, or
in other words is mingw's int 16Bit?, or maybe signedness?).

Where is ReadFile defined and what is the declaration for Arg4 ?

Still in tex-make.c: Taco, you can't just unconditionally add a third
argument to look_for_cmd, that will break non-MINGW builds.  Moreover
the use of that third argument `&new_cmd' clashes with the current code:
immediately after a successful call to look_for_cmd a new value is
assigned to new_cmd.

I think it would be best if native WIN32 and MINGW had the same API for
that function

Taco,

there were still a few minor cross-compilation bugs (now fixed in testlive
r11040), and "configure -C" now works for both native and cross builds (at
least for my fake one).

Regards,
Peter