[tex-k] mktexlsr

Karl Berry karl at freefriends.org
Mon Apr 20 20:57:10 CEST 2009

    I have no idea what's going on

What's going on is that in mktexlsr, like most of the other scripts, the
option parsing is simplistic and ends with (essentially)
  trees="$trees $1"
to collect the arguments to operate on.  Obviously that's not going to
work when we later do  for t in $trees ...

I believe that particular thing can be fixed (set dummy ${1+"$@"} "$1"),
but I think making all the shell scripts work with spaces anywhere the
paths is going to take a lot of effort, although unquestionably it is a
desirable goal.  I need to spend that effort elsewhere right now.  And
in the long run, as you know, I want to rewrite the shell scripts in
Perl anyway, although it didn't happen this year.

What would be a more important test is to install TL on Windows in a
path containing spaces.  Windows users commonly use spaces.  Unix users
commonly don't.  And since of course Windows doesn't use the shell
scripts, if it fails, it will fail somewhere else.