[tex-k] exit code and --interaction

Karl Berry karl at freefriends.org
Thu Oct 30 22:38:11 CET 2008

Hi Manuel,

Your examples are garbled in the email, for instance, this doesn't make
sense:

    mpg at roth:~% echo '\\relax hi\n \\bye' | pdftex

     \bye' | pdftexThis is pdfTeXk, Version 3.1415926-1.40.9 (Web2C 7.5.7)

Anyway, so far I haven't been able to reproduce it.
Specifically, I tried

$ echo '\relax hi \bye' | pdftex

with and without --interaction=batchmode and both exited 0.
(I also tried some erroneous constructs and both exited 1.)

Note no double backslashes -- unless you have a strange shell,
backslashes are not interpreted by '...', unlike "...".
In any case, using an actual input file to try to find the problem case
would be more reliable; stdin behavior can be rather inscrutable.
The .log file might also shed some light.

karl