[tex-k] mpost bug: TEX.mp

Ohad kammar ohad.kammar at gmail.com
Fri Aug 15 12:04:52 CEST 2008

Dear sir/madam,

I have found the following bug with the  MetaPost "library".

The TEX.mp "package" is problematic if you're working with an output
directory different from the cwd, because it incorrectly looks up the
mptextmp.mp file.

To reproduce the problem, perform the following:
1. Create two directories: ~/1 and ~/2.
2. In ~/1, place the file `1.mp', containing:
  > input TEX;
  > draw TEX("1");
  > end

With CWD=~/1, invoke the following:
  ~/1$ mpost -output-directory=../2 1

On my machine, this generates the error:
-----------------
! I can't find file `mptextmp'.
<scantokens> input mptextmp

<to be read again>
                   endgroup
<to be read again>
                   ;
l.2 draw TEX("1");

Please type another input file name:
-------------------

I am not too familiar with MetaPost's file lookup mechanism, but I found
that this can be fixed if, in the file TEX.mp, you change the line:
25 > scantokens "input mptextmp"
To:
25 > scantokens "input mptextmp.mp"

Here's the info from 'mpost --version':

MetaPost 1.005 (Web2C 7.5.7)
kpathsea version 3.5.7
Copyright 2008 AT&T Bell Laboratories.
Kpathsea is copyright 2008 Karl Berry and Olaf Weber.
There is NO warranty.  Redistribution of this software is
covered by the terms of both the MetaPost copyright and
the Lesser GNU General Public License.
For more information about these matters, see the file
named COPYING and the MetaPost source.
Primary author of MetaPost: John Hobby.
Current maintainer of MetaPost: Taco Hoekwater.
Kpathsea written by Karl Berry, Olaf Weber, and others.

Thank you,
Ohad.