[tex-k] problem is solved

Maggie McLoughlin mam at theory.Stanford.EDU
Tue Nov 13 07:05:23 CET 2007

Dear Karl et al,

Tom Rokicki helped me uncover the mystery: My texmf.cnf file had redefined
the environment variable TEXMFDBS, and my old definition listed fewer files
than are now necessary. This caused kpsewhich not to see files that are
in fact present, without giving much of a hint how it found them (or not)
in the debugging output.

So, I can sleep peacefully tonight at last!

I shall of course upgrade to texlive soon, and I shall know enough to
avoid this sort of problem at that time.

Best wishes, Don