[tex-k] Updates to dviljk, dviljk goes to CTAN

Joachim Schrod jschrod at acm.org
Wed Jul 4 02:08:34 CEST 2007

Hello,

KB>     dependency on the texk build environment is not relevant for our
KB>     archival purpose

KB> Ok.  I just hope we don't end up with a lot of users downloading the
KB> software and not understanding that it can't be compiled, despite your
KB> README.  That is why I hadn't suggested doing things this way.  Guess
KB> we'll find out.

In fact, we discussed that potential problem on the ctan list, but
decided to try this approach as an experiment and observe the users'
reaction to it.

I should have mentioned: When somebody downloads dviljk and calls
./configure, he'll get the following reaction:

    comedy:dviljk $ ./configure

    Sorry, but this configure script won't be of much use for you.

    This source directory from CTAN can only be compiled in a texk build
    environment. You will need to download the whole environment, please
    refer to http://www.tug.org/texlive/svn/.

    It all boils down to a Subversion checkout of
    svn://tug.org/texlive/trunk/Build/source
    This will be the source tree that you can use for compilation. The
    CTAN tree is there for archival and informational purpose.

    For your convenience, the original configure script from the texk
    source tree is available in this directory as configure.texk.

I hope that this -- together with my README text addition -- will be
sufficient information to make downloaders realize their situation. If
they'll come and complain, we will then judge if it happens too often
and if we should abandon this new experiment.

KB>     I'd like to mention that we can use this automatic process for other
KB>     DVI drivers too, when upstream versions get unmaintained.

KB> Aside from ones that become unmaintained, at least kpathsea, web2c, and
KB> dvips are also only maintained in TL and this situation is not likely to
KB> change in the foreseeable future.  So if you like, please propagate
KB> those to CTAN similar to dviljk.

dvips I can arrange tomorrow. For kpathsea and web2c I have to check
with the other CTANers about proper locations; and what we do with the
Catalogue.

Best,
	Joachim

Joachim Schrod				Email: jschrod at acm.org