[tex-k] dvips: BeginPaperSize in postscript DSC

Robin Fairbairns Robin.Fairbairns at cl.cam.ac.uk
Wed Nov 15 20:46:19 CET 2006

pierre.mackay <pierre.mackay at comcast.net> wrote:

> (And if that is a worry, what
> about the hints that the LaTeX people want to shut down certain Knuth
> primitives in the final move to LaTeX3?)

what?!

sure, the troublesome primitives are hidden in amsmath (michael downes
*really* didn't like them), but then, no-one using amsmath would want to
sideline the excellent work mike did creating some semblance of
uniformity to advanced maths.

for myself, i vacillate between an urgent desire to smash them on the
head (maths macro programming would be *so* much easier if they'd not
been invented), and the sober realisation that they're there to stay,
unless we branch out on something entirely new.  (there are a few
projects developing from the basic ideas of tex, but i don't think
there's anything beyond ant that would even dream of dropping a tex
primitive.  and ant is a one-man-band, as far as i can tell; a pity, but
there we are...)

robin