[tex-k] is there any reason not to strip tetex binaries?

t s keinbiervorvier at gmail.com
Sun Dec 3 02:31:17 CET 2006

Hi,

I was wondering why the strip target in the tetex 3.0 Makefile is empty.
The Changelog has an old entry

Mon May 10 01:16:56 CEST 2004
       * top-level Makefile: lo longer strip any binary

and various packages refer to an old bug
      "Don't strip binaries explicitly (bug #62568)."
but bugzilla at redhat won't let me see the bug explanation

The only other thing I found is a problem with GNU strip on Solaris.

So my question to the list:

can I safely strip tetex 3.0 binaries on recent linux distributions (fedora,
redhat EL, debian, centOS)?

What's the downside apart from losing debugging abilities.

Thanks
T.